I managed to squeeze in some letterpress at college last week to finish off my “50 Words for 50 Birds” piece for the Bruny Island Bird Festival. Gillbert is our techy at college and he is incredibly knowlegeable and helpful when it comes to all things print making. I haven’t done much letter press before and it took a couple of hours to set this little bit of text. Each letter has to be set individually. It’s astounding to think that all our newpapers were once printed in this way. It’s difficult to read upside down and back to front but you get the hang of it after a while and with the help of sense of touch (there’s little grooves on the front of each letter) I found my hands and brain moving a little quicker by the time the text was set.
With Gil’s help, I printed my text on this lovely old Vandercook proofing press.